Spring has sprung here at Deep Creek and we couldn’t be more excited! That’s right. It’s time to get outside and enjoy the amazing beauty and wonder our area provides. Rain or shine, there are endless activities to get your family out and about enjoying Deep Creek Lake and Garrett County. Here are a few of our favorites:
1) Hike & Bike!: Garrett Trails has developed a large network of trails that provide access to many of Garrett County’s historic, municipal, and environmental treasures. To find information and maps go to garretttrails.org. (Our neighbors at High Mountain Sports rent bikes daily, so grab the family and pedal your way through Deep Creek.)
2) Park It: In addition to Deep Creek Lake State Park, Garrett County is home to many parks and recreational areas. While you’re here you should see Swallow Falls, Herrington Manor, New Germany, and Savage River State Parks. Are you up for a little drive…? Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley and Coopers Rock are less than an hour away!
3) Rain Delay…?: Sometimes it just rains. Don’t let that keep you from the fun. Just a few miles south in Oakland, MD you’ll find the B&O Train Station and Museum as well as the Garrett County Historical Museum and Museum of Transportation.
4) Learn & Explore: The Discovery Center at Deep Creek Lake State Park is an educational venue for people of all ages. They have hands-on exhibits as well as on-site naturalists, rangers, and volunteers that lead educational programs from bird watching and wild flower identification to black bear and wildlife management and endangered species of the Youghiogheny area.
5) Play-A-Round: Tee off at Thousand Acres Golf Club, the Oakland Golf Club, Wisp Resort or Lodestone. No need to play through. You’re going to want to take your time and soak in the natural beauty of these courses.
There are so many amazing and fun activities at your fingertips. For more information on special events in our area check out visitdeepcreek.com. Don’t forget to kick start your Deep Creek Adventure with a handcrafted treat from Trader’s Coffee House and refuel after at Brenda’s or Ace’s Run! We'll see you out there and Happy Adventuring!!!!